1,000 Mile Minestrone
Recipe inspired by subscriber, Christine!
- ½ white onion, diced
- Two garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive oil for sautéing, approx. two tablespoons
- Two whole potatoes, diced
- Large whole carrot, sliced
- Two turnips, diced [can substitute any seasonal root vegetable]
- Three fresh tomatoes, diced
- Two Tablespoons Better than Bouillon, Chicken base
- Peas, one 10 ounce can
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beans (optional) ** the BEANNNSSSS… I didn’t want beans.
1. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
2. Add chopped potatoes, carrot, and turnips, and sauté with the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until the vegetables soften.
3. Dice tomatoes, and stir in ; simmer for a few minutes until tomatoes start to break down.
4. Add chicken base and water to the mixture until desired soup consistency is reached, and let simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add canned peas. Let simmer for another few minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and fish sauce if you'd like.
“It’s nice! It compliments this sandwich (the Reuben) very well - make them together in the fall!”